Join Mike Rushton for a day in the woods, taking in the natural world and the ways of the woodsmen. Mike will immerse you in the way of the woods, spotting wildlife, animal tracks and signs, fishing, fire-lighting, tree and plant identification and much more.
A knowledge packed day full of hints and tips for making that outdoor experience even better.
- Our forests and how they work
- Tree identification and lore
- Plant uses
- Animal tracks and signs
- How to conceal yourself to spot wildlife
- Fishing for Trout at the rivers edge
- Fire lighting and management
- Safe use of knife and folding saw
- Natural navigation in the forest
- First aid and safety in the woods
After meeting at Tamarack Outdoors we will drive for 30 minutes to our woodland and spend the day until around 17:00, we will then return to Tamarack Outdoors.
Dates & Booking Details
Sunday 2nd September 2018
Course starts at 08:00 and finishes at around 17:00
Price does not include food or transport. Specialist equipment provided.
Course Size: 12
There is a minimum age limit of 12 for this course. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
For more information on this event or to be added to the reserve list, contact the Tamarack Team on 01995 601011 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet at Tamarack Outdoors at 08:00 on the Sunday, the course will finish around 17:00.
Directions from the South
- From M6 North bound take junction 32 M55 signposted Fleetwood, Preston North.
- Follow signs for A6 Preston and Garstang.
- At roundabout take the third exit signposted A6 Garstang.
- After 5.5 miles turn right on the B6430, sign posted Garstang Country Hotel and Golf Club.
- Follow signs for Ray Lane and the Creamery Industrial Estate.
- Pass Garstang Country Hotel and Golf Club.
- Turn right onto Calder House Lane, sign posted Ray Lane Industrial Estate.
- Stay on Calder House Lane, after several bends this turns into Bruna Hill, then into Ray Lane.
- Follow Ray Lane over humped back bridge and under railway bridge.
- Pass under railway bridge and turn immediately left passing the Kenlis Arms on the right.
- Head for signs for the Creamery Industrial Estate.
- On entering the estate, straight in front you, you will find Tamarack Outdoors.
Directions from the North
- From M6 South bound take Junction 33, signposted A6 Garstang and Fleetwood.
- At the roundabout take first exit, signposted Garstang, Blackpool and Fleetwood.
- After 7.8 miles turn left onto Cock Robin Lane, signed Garstang Country Hotel & Golf Club
- At the end of Cock Robin Lane turn left onto B6430.
- All other directions as from the South.
Recommended Course Kit List
- 35 to 40 ltr rucksack
- Waterproof clothing
- Insulated or fleece mid-layer
- Water bottle
- Flask or stove and pot for warm drinks
- Lunch and snacks for the day
- Sit mat
- Fixed blade knife (Mora style)
- Folding saw (Laplander style)
- Hat, gloves, buff
- Walking boots or similar
Q: What do I need to bring?
General Equipment: You will need a daysack containing water, food or snacks for the day. A flask or stove & pot for warm drinks. Waterproof and warm clothing, hat, gloves scarf. Camera, binoculars, knife, folding saw, first aid kit. Normal sturdy outdoor footwear or wellies.
You need to be of fair fitness, there will be some walking on steep ground.
Q: Do I get a discount on any equipment I need for the course ?
Yes, all course participants get a 10% discount on all products purchased at Tamarack for the course.
Q: What if the weather is bad ?
Don't worry about this, the course goes ahead whatever the weather.
Sorry, no dogs or pets allowed on site.
Q: What about first aid and anyone having an accident?
All Tamarack staff are trained and qualified in first aid, with a full comprehensive first aid kit on site. Risk assessments and emergency procedures are in place for any eventuality.
Tamarack hold the relevant insurance to carry out this type of activity. However, it would be an advantage to all students to have their own travel insurance.
Q: What happens now that I have booked and paid for a course?
After you have booked and paid to attend one of our courses you will find all the information you will need within the FAQ or the relevant course page you have booked on. Here you will find dates, timings, meeting point, what kit and food provision you need etc.
One Day Courses - If you have booked on a one day course you will be contacted firstly by telephone one to two weeks prior to the course. If a message has to be left we follow this up with an email. The reason for contacting you is to ensure you are still able to attend and that if you have any further questions or queries regarding the course we can sort this out.
Multiple Day Courses - If you have booked on a multiple day course you will be contacted firstly by telephone two months then again one month prior to the course. If a message has to be left we follow this up with an email. The reason for contacting you is to ensure you are still able to attend and that if you have any further questions or queries regarding the course we can sort this out.
YOU WILL NOT BE SENT THROUGH THE POST PAPER JOINING INSTRUCTIONS, ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED IS ON OUR WEBSITE.
Q: If I have booked and paid for a course and I need to cancel, do I get my money back?
If you need to cancel a course at any point you can either turn the course fee into a credit note in our store or request a refund at any point. However, a refund or credit note is not available if you don't attend and request a refund after the course date.
If you cannot attend prior to the course, please let us know as soon as possible as we have a reserve list on every course.
Q: I booked on one of your courses and you have now cancelled it, do I get my money back?
If Tamarack have to cancel a course for any reason, where practicable the course will be rescheduled. However, you can either turn the course fee into a credit note in our store or request a refund.